Confession: I LOVE broccoli! I am a huge fan of this cruciferous vegetable! I have done everything from roasting, steaming, stir frying, and making it into a coleslaw, but NEVER have I ever sauteed it. Which is actually quite crazy! I am running this veggie challenge in my Facebook Group and I wanted to try something new….so low and behold on the counter there was a red onion, some avocado oil and then when I opened the fridge the first veggie I say was broccoli…(shocking I know, but not really there is most definitely ALWAYS broccoli on hand in the fridge. My usual favorite way to make broccoli is to roast it in the oven with some olive oil and salt and pepper. When done correctly it is like eating candy…yes candy. I digress….
Yield 2-4 servings
A simple, easy side dish to go along with really any meal...lunch, dinner or just an appetizer, this sauteed broccoli can be changed up to reflect the dish you are serving it with. Swap out the apple cider vinegar for some balsamic for a nice Italian or Mediterranean dish, or use a splash of red wine and serve alongside a beautiful steak!
- 3-4 smaller broccoli crowns or 1 large bunch of broccoli (enough for up to 4 servings), cut into pieces (it is messy like cauliflower)
- 1/3 red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (or balsamic, or red wine, or white wine or rice wine)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- dash or two of black pepper
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, heat up the oil.
- Hover your hand (carefully of course) over the pan and it feels hot enough add the red onions, saute for about one minute until fragrant and slightly translucent.
- Add in the diced broccoli and stir fry for about 2-4 minutes letting it get softer.
- Add in the salt and pepper.
- At this point add in the vinegar of your choice and cover the pan with a lid. Any lid will do we just need to create a "steaming" effect to help soften up the broccoli more.
- Cover the pan for 2-4 minutes or until the broccoli is done to the softness (or less soft) you desire.
- Eat and Enjoy!