I am a HUGE brussel sprouts fan these days and constantly on the lookout for new ways to incorporate them into a meal. I had the makings for a Mediterranean feast between my fridge and pantry so I decided to turn some brussel sprouts into a Mediterranean masterpiece that even a Greek goddess could appreciate. Also anyone else have an obsession of roasting ALL THE THINGS? #IDO! I am in love with all the roasted veggies! Brussel Sprouts are my favorite roasted veggie, but I will roast just about anything….broccoli, carrots, potatoes, onions, cauliflower, asparagus to name a few. Another awesome thing is that I discovered the roasting feature on my oven recently and let me just say…AMAZING. Go check out your oven settings right now and see if that button is one of them…have you ever used it? Life changing… Next time you want to roast a chicken…your family with thank you that you discovered this! I could not believe how long I had been cooking with that oven before noticing that button…weird.
Mediterranean Brussel Sprouts
Yield 4-6 servings
Delicious side dish to serve along a grilled steak or chicken, or make it and eat it cold even, still tastes yummy! You could do so much with this recipe really, add some bacon on top, or some pine nuts tossed in, modify it and make it yours.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and quartered (remove any yucky outer leaves)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (whole)
- 1 cup of artichoke hearts (from a jar) use a paper towel to drain some excess water from them
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano (or use fresh herbs if you have them)
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (omit if dairy free)
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (or select roast and 375 degrees if you have this feature)
- In a medium bowl toss the prepared brussel sprouts with the tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Place the mixture onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until they look roasty enough (a little brownish-black on the outer leaves is desirable)
- Add the artichoke hearts, toss and return to the oven to warm them up along with the brussel sprouts mixture. roast an additional 5 minutes
- Squeeze a fresh lemon over top of the finished veggies and add the feta cheese on top.