I don’t know what it is, but chicken tender, nuggets, strips or whatever way they call them these days are ALL the rage when it comes to kids! My youngest is a chicken nugget snob too, if there ever were such a phrase. He will only only eat chicken from chick-fil-a…who’s blaming him they are the BEST! I needed to figure out a recipe for us to make at home that would replicate the chicken tenders that they love. I have tried many and they have failed. They were either too dry, too almond floury, too “yucky” in short. These got the 2 thumbs up well actually 10 thumbs up if we are counting seriously (there are 5 of us in this house after all!). So here you have it kid approved chicken tenders that are actually good for them…and you, because I don’t know about you guys but I am always sneaking bites of their tenders!
Gluten Free Chicken Tenders
Finally a "healthy" chicken tenders recipe that my kids will get behind. I am telling you I have had SO many flops when it comes to making a chicken tender recipe that they can't tell is "healthy." So FINALLY here is one that they love!
- 1 pound chicken breasts (skinless) cut into chunks or strips
- 1 cup whole milk (you can also use coconut milk)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp adobo seasoning (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1/3 cup of dijon
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- dash of red pepper flakes if desired
- In two separate containers (shallow but wide enough to dip the tenders in) add the milk and eggs to one and whisk well, to the other add the almond flour, coconut flour and all seasonings, mix together well.
- First soak the tenders in the milk/egg mixture, then drag them through the flour and seasoning mixture to coat well.
- In a large heavy duty skillet, (I use cast iron for this) heat up the olive oil over medium high heat. This may take a minute or two to get hot enough for "frying" the tenders.
- Fry the chicken in batches if necessary. Add them into the hot oil and fry for 3 minutes or until golden on one side.
- Using tongs, gently flip the chicken to the other side to continue frying. Fry for approximately 3 minutes or until golden.
- Place the chicken on a paper towel lined plate to help drain off the excess oil.
- In a small bowl whisk together the honey mustard sauce.
- Serve hot and with your desired dipping sauce.