Well I have been SUPER behind on my posts guys and for that I am SO SO SO sorry! This PCS (permanent change of station) is particularly stressful for me. For one all of the things that need to be done are scheduled for this crazy month of May. On top of that I have 3 kiddos in school and any other moms of kids in school know that May is the new December. Meaning every single thing, activity, field trip, open house, finals, projects etc. etc. etc. are due/scheduled for this month! I am not complaining, I am simply behind on all the things related to Healthy on the Homefront. We are scheduled to leave CA on June 16th. We are scheduled to close on our house in TX on June 20th. If all goes well we will roll into town and be greeted by our awesome and AMAZING Realtor and Military Spouse friend with keys in hand! Of course I anticipate bumps along the way (but I hold out hope things will go well).
So why am I posting now? At the moment I am held captive in my house because our landlords want to get some work done on the house so they can sell it, and I need to be here while it gets done. That means a huge chunk of time where I am stuck in the house and not really able to clean (my normal procrastination method) and I am actually able to sit here and get this post typed out! I am baffled that it takes this extreme scenario to get me on here posting. I need to get my act together guys… any suggestions? seriously.
Back to the recipe at hand. This “California Avocado Salad” is my ode to our time here in CA….We have been here for over 9 years now! Well in CA that is, between Nor Cal (currently) and So Cal (Edwards AFB), we have called this beautiful state home. We had our youngest, Eric, here in Nor Cal in 2011, so we officially have one “Californian.” The other two are “Arizonans” in case you were wondering. I plan to post my loves/dislikes about our time in California at a later time and also post about why I am getting excited about Texas. For now though I want to leave you with this salad….make it, eat it, share it! I hope that you like it as much as we do!
California Avocado Salad
Yield 6 Servings
This delicious salad is a nice and refreshing side to any meal really. I made this to go right on top of some grilled chicken, but you could serve it with tacos, a juicy steak, even as a "dip" for some yummy corn tortilla chips! Honestly though it is even good all on its own, just try not to lick the bowl clean!
- 1 cup of corn kernels (I used canned, but you can use fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 2 large avocados, diced up into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/3 cup or about 1/4 of a large red onion, diced
- 2 stalks of green onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/2 tsp honey, optional
- juice of one lime
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- dash of cayenne (optional, we like things spicy!)
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a serving bowl add the corn, avocados, red onion, cherry tomatoes and the green onions.
- In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Drizzle the dressing on top of the salad and gently mix together. Do this gently, you want the avocado in tact at the end and not turned into guacamole.
- Serve on tacos, or on top of a grilled chicken, my personal favorite!